Altar Your Life

Altar Your Life

Monday, July 25, 2005

Roofing is Fun; Heat Sucks

So I just finished with Servants of the Son - a four day work project for youth in Frederick, OK (my hometown). I was invited to come as the nightly preacher and to work on the sight with the youth. It was blessed hot. In fact, it was the hottest week of the summer so far. Over one hundred degrees on the ground. Up on the roof, the heat was more like 110-115. We roofed and painted a house for a sweet old lady named Lois. Needless to say, I'm exhausted. It's good to be back, but I did find out that roofing is kind of fun. There's something about having a methodical task that requires real labor to accomplish that pleases me. The heat was difficult to deal with, but the sense of accomplishment was great. So I start thinking: "It was a normal day in Frederick, OK. Barry Bennett (mild-mannered roofer and occasional preacher), was busy completing a row of shingles when, (Bam!) he hammers into a shingle that was accidentally made of uranium tar. He is immediately transformed into 'The Roofer'. With the durability of industrial grade nails, the strength best demostrated in the physics of a pry bar, the flexibility of a hot shingle, and the speed of a nail gun, 'The Roofer' fights small town crime wherever it appears. Evil beware. Run and hide from...The Roofer!" It think that it could work. A story like that could break into a key lost demographic - the small town working class. We'd make millions, I tells ya!

No comments: